Orewa slsc junior surf
We wish to extend a warm welcome to prospective Junior Surf members and their families to Orewa Surf Life Saving Club. Our Junior Surf program is designed to promote surf skills, fitness, surf sense, water safety and fun in a safe and friendly environment for future athletes, lifeguards, or simply kids who want to make new friends and have a good time. We are looking forward to another fun and busy season and hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
To encourage all children to have fun, participate safely and develop skills and confidence in the surf life saving spirit of fair play.
Junior Surf is divided into age groups (ages calculated as of 1st October ). Some groups are further divided into squads according to age or ability.
Sprats: 3 - 4 year olds
Tadpoles: 5 - 6 year olds
A Group: 7 - 9 year olds
B Group: 10 - 11 year olds
C Group: 12 - 13 year olds
TRAINING SESSIONS - 10am Sunday mornings at Orewa Surf Club
Additional training sessions are sometimes scheduled for A, B & C Groups during weekdays at Orewa Beach or the pool.
- PUNCTUALITY IS IMPORTANT! PLEASE ensure children arrive on time. Due to current OSH management requirements, latecomers MUST report to team managers BEFORE joining the training session.
- Children must have their uniform, a towel, change of clothes, plenty to drink and be wearing sunblock.
- For safety reasons, skull caps & hi vis vests are compulsory for everyone - Sprats to C Group. NO SKULL CAP & VEST - NO WATER ACTIVITIES - NO EXCEPTIONS.
- PLEASE wash down all gear and put it away in the gear shed.
- Keep showers as short as possible.
- Training starts regardless of weather, unless otherwise advised. Training usually finishes at 11:15am for Sprats and Tadpoles, and 12:00pm for A, B & C Group.
- Parents and junior members must attend roll call and squad meetings at the start of training to receive important information via notices and newsletters.
- At the end of training, there is usually a BBQ and drinks for sale and other fundraising activities for the Junior Surf program.
PARENTS, GUARDIANS AND CAREGIVERS
The parents play a huge role in Junior Surf. Orewa Surf Club encourages all parents to take the opportunity to become active contributors to the JuniorSurf program.
It is always a pleasure to see families encouraging and supporting JuniorSurf members as they train and compete. At all times, please ensure your behaviour and language are appropriate and that your encouragement is positive and in the spirit of fair play. Any concerns can be discussed with the coach or team manager.
Most of all, remember to KEEP IT FUN!
Your help during training sessions is always required and appreciated by the coaches whether setting up equipment, BBQ, cleaning and packing away the gear, helping with fundraising or being involved in the water.
If you are interested in coaching, consider attending a 1 day Junior Surf cCoach course and becoming a certified Junior Surf coach. These are popular courses so bookings are necessary - see Surf Life Saving Northern Region website for dates
Each club must provide a proportionate number of certified Surf Officials at carnivals to supervise and judge events. Orewa is in need of qualified officials. Please consider attending a 1 day Surf Officials course. Contact Brenda Larsen, Junior Chair, for more info or see Surf Life Saving Northern Region website for dates